Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hell & Back Training. Week 4.

Well now, this week has just flown and when I think that this time just four measly weeks away, Titan will be all over- well, that kind of makes me sad (and a little nauseous of what we will be put through given Hell & Back’s recent posts about power hoses & whatnot.  LOL)

Training is going well- all on schedule, but my diet... Oh crap (literally).  My diet has been poor.  My meals have been good & healthy but the snacking in-between, Meh.  The darn early specials on goodies for Halloween!  *shakes fist at shops marketing ploy*.  Does anyone else share my dangerous chocoholic tendencies?

 
I was thinking about what gear to wear for Titan this week.  It’s a tough one really because it SHOULD be cold, but then there is nothing worse than being too warm when running. 
 
Trojan was fairly arctic in fairness, and I think I chose my attire wisely (by sheer luck looking back on it- I hadn’t a CLUE what I was getting myself into).  (Look at the state of me over there---> far right.  LOL)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Apollo was lovely and warm so was quite easy to choose clothes.  (---> me in the middle looking MUCH fresher at the finish than at Trojan's finish.  LOL)
 You could have done it in a bikini if you were that way inclined, guaranteed afew cuts and bruises, but you would have been fine. 
 
 
 
 
But Titan?  I dunno.  It could go any way really, couldn’t it?  I mean, look at it now.  It’s October and you easily could have barbequed yesterday in shorts and T-shirt. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Taking all the possible weather factors into consideration (which don’t really matter at all when it comes to Hell & Back... LOL) I think I have picked out my ‘race day’ gear.  I have listed in order of importance. 

Socks:  Socks are SO important.  The wrong pair or ones that you are not well used to running in could be detrimental to you on the day, so get familiar with your favourite pair.  The last think you want is a blister and the resulting pain and agony as you drag yourself around Titan.  My socks of choice are Fusion ankle 1000 mile running socks.  They have a double layer with tactel lining (which whisks moisture away) and are guaranteed no blister.  I got mine in my trustee local store, Wild Side Sports in Bandon.  

Runners:  Again, so very important.  Have a pair that you have well worn in for race day.  I recommend trail runners as they have better grip and are still light.  My beauties are the ones that I got for Apollo earlier this year.  They are Salomon XR Mission Trail runners.  Again, I got them from Wild Side Sports in Bandon. 

Running pants- I have a pair of old ¾ length’s that I’ve had for years.  I’ve run the last two Hell & Back’s in them, so I might just finish off the year by wearing them again.  J  They are just basic running pants- I think I got them in Champion Sports but can’t be sure as the label has washed out.

Top- I CANT WAIT to collect my race pack and check out the purple Titan T-shirts.  We will, of course, be running it in these.  Good choice of colour folks of Hell & Back.  Tis’ my favourite. 

The rest is person specific really- contact lenses so I don’t run into a wall, a good sports bra etc.

It’s still four weeks away so perhaps the time has come to reward yourself for all of your hard work and training and buy yourself some new gear?   (ah go on... you deserve it!)

If you are in West Cork, I highly recommend Wild Side Sports in Bandon.  Phil and Laurie go above and beyond to make sure you are getting what is right for you. 

If you are in Cork City, the good folks and partners of Hell & Back, 53 degrees North can sort you out.  They also have a HUGE store up in Carrickmines and Blanchardstown in Dublin. 

If you are in Dublin City, the superb The Great Outdoors is just off Grafton Street. 

I’m afraid I am not hugely familiar with others, but I am sure you will sort yourselves out, wherever you are.

Anyway, back to work-
 
Week 3 training is as follows:
Daily:
35 sit ups x 4
1 pull up followed by 6 chin ups (it’s pushing it, but get a chair if you’re struggling)
12 push ups x 3
65 seconds planking.
Over the week:
Swimming- 35 lengths of the pool x2
6km runs x 2 (I was flattened this week with the running so am leaving it the same)


So there you have it, folks.  Good luck with this week’s training!

Toodles,

Jen       

 


3 comments:

  1. Nicely written-This post is equally informative.Thank you for information you been putting on making your site such an interesting If you have time please visit my workout bag page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year it will be my first hell and back and I'm just reading your blog and am so happy you mentioned contact lenses- I'm afraid I will lose them i.e.in ice bath-i've seen videos people going under the water..were you not afraid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year it will be my first hell and back and I'm just reading your blog and am so happy you mentioned contact lenses- I'm afraid I will lose them i.e.in ice bath-i've seen videos people going under the water..were you not afraid?

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email