Thursday, April 4, 2013

Glutton for punishment

Hi Everyone!  *waves*

Okay, after FINALLY recovering from completing ‘Hell and Back’, Trojan at the start of this year (what? Like, it’s only been a little over two months and the bruises are almost gone...), I have finally gotten the feeling back in my fingers to type this blog post.

I have great news! I’m going again! Har har har. (And I’m not kidding... ). I am putting down the camera once again, and launching myself into the humiliation of exercise and other people’s lenses!

Hell and Back, Apollo (‘A midsummer’s nightmare’, apparently- Eeeeek! www.hellandback.ie/apollo2013 ) is taking place on the 15th of June and it’s a G for go! I and my three team mates of ‘The Mudslingers’, will be tackling the new blood curdling course, built on virgin terrain in Belmont Estate, Co Wicklow.


My brain is just about accepting this decision but my body is still firmly standing tough in denial. Easter is barely over and the overindulgence of chocolate is still being maintained nicely, so I suppose I really need to give it a week or so to really let the idea sink in before getting the finger out with a training plan and start exercising. And what better way to totally make the best of my final week of freedom before cleaning up the eating and getting down and dirty with a serious 8 week training plan? A nice week in Spain? Yeah, that sounds about right!

So here it is.
 
My vow to myself. My toast to Twitter. My promise to the good people of the blogosphere and most importantly, my warning to my wobbly bits. Come 20th April, after my fabulously sunny week in Spain (jealous yet?..) my gruelling 8 week training plan will commence. I WILL conquer Hell & Back, Apollo, and I (hopefully) will be able to be more than dragged across the finish line.

I want to be able to energetically leap over the final hurdles and physically raise my arms in victory this time (as opposed to whimpering while being dragged towards the bananas and thermal sheets). I CAN DO THIS!

And so can you!
Now, I can see all of you super healthy and fit individuals ‘guffawing’ as you read this, but not just you lot. ALL of you.
 
You, just like me; The young mammies, the old mammies, the sisters, the daughters, the grannies, (& of course all male equivalents). The ‘haven’t exercised in AGES’ types, the ‘I can’t run’ types, the ‘ah, I’ll exercise tomorrow, while opening another bottle of wine’ types. Yes, you. All of you. Of course you can do this. It’s just a matter of a little endurance and discipline- and just think of how you will feel when you cross that finish line! Come on, you know you want to: www.hellandback.ie

You might want to do it on your own, as a team, for charity or just for yourself, but the most important thing is that you just do it. Get up, get out and get moving. Your body will thank you for it. (And so might that small pair of jeans in your wardrobe that you just won’t throw out)

I will be doing up a training plan for myself which I will share with you and will then be posting a weekly blog post which will review my past weeks training and detail my new goals for the coming week.
If you are training, or just want to join me in my 8 week preparation for Hell & Back, Apollo, please- feel free to rob it, alter it to suit yourself, laugh at it... whatever floats your boat! I’m using you readers as my motivation! (Nothing like a bit of public humiliation to get one moving and stick to a plan!)

I will be posting my training plan as soon as I get back from my lovely sunny week abroad ;P (or perhaps before then... depending on how well organised I can get)

Until then, watch this space...

Jen.

P.S: *warning, brutal honesty alert* In case you are wondering- I, unfortunately, am not one of those fitness freaks. I am just a normal, plain Jane, wife and mom of two young boys, who likes the occasional (Har har har) glass of wine and LOVES carbs and anything sweet. The idea of breaking a sweat makes me gag but I am determined to keep fit and healthy for my family and (I would love to say ‘loose’ here, but will accept ‘reduce’) reduce my wobbly bits, for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jen, I too have signed up for that 10k of torture (can't even use the excuse that I was drunk when I said yes) and managed to talk three other family members into doing it with me!! I thought our team name 'The Mad Hatters' was appropriate in this case.

    With the chocolate near enough gone in the house (thankfully the majority was not eaten by me this year purely because it wasn't Cadbury's) & me being a non-smoker for the last 13 days this was the week to start mine. I decided to bite the bullet and start running. Well when I say running it was more like a walk/jog/walk and I was crawling to the finish line. It was better than I expected as I swore I would need an ambulance at some stage of that walk/jog/walk/crawl but thankfully not and I figure the bit of crawling might just come in handy at some stage of Hell & Back!!

    So I have started on the road to Hell and like any road I’m going to hit a few bumps on the way but the hardest step is getting out there and doing it. It can only get easier from there & if it doesn’t god help me I will be needing that ambulance after all!!

    Anyways, enjoy the holiday & I look forward to reading your next post & training plan (hopefully by then I will have knocked the crawl out of my walk/jog/walk/crawl).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Loumackar!

      Is this your first Hell and back?
      I know EXACTLY how you feel regarding the walk/run/walk/crawl! LOL. Power on through that burning feeling! ;). And a super huge well done to you giving up the fags! Stick too it! I'm sure everyone is SO proud of you for giving them up. It's tough, but every day gets easier!

      Good luck with your training, keep me updated as to how you're getting on!

      Jen


      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment, Loumackar!

      Is this your first Hell and back?
      I know EXACTLY how you feel regarding the walk/run/walk/crawl! LOL. Power on through that burning feeling! ;). And a super huge well done to you giving up the fags! Stick too it! I'm sure everyone is SO proud of you for giving them up. It's tough, but every day gets easier!

      Good luck with your training, keep me updated as to how you're getting on!

      Jen


      Delete

Follow by Email